Electrical & Electronics Engineering Community

admin

Why, when birds sit on transmission lines or current wires doesn’t get shock?

admin    14

Why, when birds sit on transmission lines or current wires doesn’t get shock?
Its true that if birds touch the single one line (phase or neutral) they don’t get electrical shock… if birds touch 2 lines than the circuit is closed and they get electrical shock.. so if a human touch single one line(phase) then he doesn’t get shock if he is in the air (not touching – standing on the ground if he is standing on the ground then touching the line (phase) he will get a shock because the ground on what we standing is like line (ground bed – like neutral)? and in the most of electric lines the neutral is grounded..so that means that human who touch the line closes the circuit between phase and neutral.

• Like 3

Also, when birds stand on a single phase or line,they experience the same voltage along the line

Therefore,the difference in voltage across the bird becomes zero which means there will not be any electric shock

Faixal Opps    0

we can say that by touching only single wire or phase the circuit remains open and the bird  didnot got a shock  

In other words the bird is not grounded 

I am not convinced with those answers simply because birds do touch the HT lines and up to 60kv and are not electrocuted but for humans one single wire of 11kv is enough to roast you in the air.

• Like 3

You can only be electrocuted when you complete the circuit. That is when you touch the phase and the neutral line. Or phase to phase. So when a bird stand on a single line then it has not completed the circuit.

I think two factors are responsible for the bird protection. 

1) Insulation. The insulator the bird's are carrying under their clawed have great percentage of resistance to the flow of electron in their body as compared to humans. If an insulator is resistance to 25kv, it may not be resistance to 35 or 55kv.

2) completing the Electrical  path is another factor one can look at. Your distance to earth when in contact with a high voltage source play a cardinal point in one been electrocuted as compared to the bird crossectional area.

Anyway just my little thought.

On 7/17/2017 at 11:24 AM, Jnr Kipkoech said:

I am not convinced with those answers simply because birds do touch the HT lines and up to 60kv and are not electrocuted but for humans one single wire of 11kv is enough to roast you in the air.

I agree with u because no matter d type of insulation materials human being carry, he can't touch 11kv and birds do touches 33kv in fact 132kv

We should understand d question first, transmission lines not distribution lines. I believe we need to do more research about it because all of us saying about distribution lines.